November 28, 2010

What Do You Do?


We are just shy of a month from Christmas! woohoo! And now that we have hunted for all the candy and stuffed our selves with delicious turkey and fixin's now we are rushing about to find the perfect gifts! Well at least those of us that always wait 'til the last moment to shop, that is. Every year I say I am going to start early....yeah, that doesnt happen, nope not ever,lol.

A couple of years ago, my husband and I decided to start our own "tradition" on the gift giving for when it come to shopping for ourselves and our child. As people in general we tend to go over board with the presents thinking more is better. With all the sales going on, its not hard to do. With the economy the way it has been for the last couple of years, the "wallet" strings have gotten tighter, so do we buy more less expensive things or a few higher quality or expensive items? Since Christmas is a Christian holiday and surrounding the birth of Christ we came up with the idea.....Our child only receives 3 gifts from us at Christmas. Baby Jesus received 3 gifts from the 3 wise men so I think its only appropriate. We wanted to keep the holiday in perspective and teach her it wasn't all about how many awesome toys/gifts you can get. Then we took it a step further, she doesnt receive just any 3 gifts. She gets one clothing gift, one educational gift and one "want or toy" gift. This allows us to afford to give her a good Christmas but as she grows older, it doesnt break the bank so to speak. As for my husband and I. We only do 2 gifts one from each other and one from our child. We didnt want the holiday to be all about the gifts and what you can "get".

We hope that as the years go, that we can instill in her that it is better to give than to receive. We want to teach her that there is more joy and satisfaction in giving than the getting. Sometimes its just a good meal with friends and family, enjoying time together and well you understand.

This year, I am just thankful that my little family has a place to call home, that we are where we can work and bring money into our home, which was scarce back home. We are all healthy and happy. That is a gift in itself.

The other day, I entertained the idea, of writing down a list of all that I wanted for christmas. After I did that, I went back through my list and realized, my wants were more needs than anything, funny how that happens as we get older and have families. Of course this is just my opinion.

My list consisted of things like a new vacuum cleaner, an ironing board, curtains, serving bowls, towels....things you would get at a house warming party or house hold needs list.
I couldnt think of anything that was just a pure want. So I thought about it some more. I came up with another list, I wanted more material, yarn, ribbons....to make more things for the home and others. YIKES, what is wrong with me lol. I mark it down to being that I was raised that way lol. Im okay with that!

What I would love to hear is what is on your list, is it a want or need, is it for you or for the benefit for others? How do you decide how and what you are buying as gifts for your loved ones.
Do you have a tradition as well?

Please share your thoughts, I think it would be interesting to see how alike or different we all are. May even give each other some new ideas for the holiday season.

I wish you all the happiest of Holidays!!!!!

~ Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin